Utah Ratepayers Association

Education and Lobbying for Ratepayers of Utility-type Services with Limited or No Alternatives


Informal Complaints



Your utility bill was wrong or unfair, or the service you received was unacceptable.

You contacted the utility, but it wasn't willing to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction.

The Next Step - Call the Utah Division of Public Utilities - Make an Informal Complaint

There are 3 ways to do that:

click on:           http://publicutilities.utah.gov/compform.html;

phone:             801-530-6652 or 800-874-0904 during regular business hours; or

write to:           Utah Division of Public Utilities, PO Box 146751, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6751.

Whichever option you choose, you need to be ready to tell the Division:

the name and complete address of the customer on the utility bill;

the utility account number;

your home, work, and daytime message phone numbers;

the name of the utility you are complaining about;

what the utility did that you think is illegal, unjust or improper, including (as closely as you can) exact dates, times, locations and people involved;

why you think these activities are illegal, unjust or improper;

what you think should happen to make you satisfied;

whether you object to having the details of your complaint made available to the media; and, if you are writing a letter,

you must sign and date it.

The Division must pass the complaint on to the utility within 1 business day.

The utility is required to tell both you and the Division the results of its investigations, and how it proposes the problem can be resolved, within a further 5 business days.

The utility is required to make reasonable efforts to complete its investigations and attempts to resolve the dispute within 30 days of the Division receiving the complaint.

The utility's proposed solution can be that the complaint be dismissed if, in good faith, it believes it to be without merit.

[Don't expect the Division to make any judgments about what the utility says, or to put any pressure on the Company to cut a deal with you. 

Do expect it to explain the obstacles you may face in pursuing your complaint. 

You may find that intimidating and pro-utility, but it's actually quite realistic.  The process is far from easy, in fact it can be quite daunting.

You may feel that the utility is blowing you off if it recommends your complaint be dismissed because it lacks merit.

You may be annoyed - you may even think it isn't acting in good faith - if the utility's response is little more than a list of reasons or excuses why it did what it did, and offers nothing to put things right as you see it.

If you get to the end of an informal complaint process and you aren't satisfied, don't forget you can contact the Utah Ratepayers Association to ask for advice and help.  We can't promise anything, but the sooner you contact us, the more helpful we may be able to be.

Contact details are at the bottom of this page.]

Either You or the Utility Can Request - or the Division May Recommend - Mediation

Click here to learn about Mediation:     Mediation

Contact the Utah Ratepayers Association


(801) 998-8511

Electronic Mail


Mailing Address

1375 Vintry Lane, Salt Lake City, Utah 84121

Home        Gas Meters        How to Complain        Mediation        Formal Complaints

Last Modified: 29 March 2008